Time is Not a Disappointing Factor

I remember back to those warm Staff Hunt nights at camp, where Caroline and I would sit endless hours, waiting for the campers to find us.

We loved those moments...an hour or two to sit and talk about our week and catch up with each other. One particular night, we were discussing guys and relationships. Or maybe that was every night. ;)

“I don’t know if the timing is right. And I just feel like the only factor holding this relationship back is time.”


“But. If you really think about it, Time is not a disappointing factor.”

When it comes to entering a relationship, there are many different factors that come into play when deciding whether he/she is the “one.”

Time happens to be one of those factors we can’t choose. It’s something that God throws at us. He and He alone can decide when the time is right. Of course, we can try and force things to happen before their destined time, but as I have heard from a very wise man at camp – “The right thing at the wrong time is the wrong thing.”

“Time is not a disappointing factor.” This quote goes quite in parallel with the previous saying. Sometimes time seems like a forever and a day. How much longer will I be single? Why do I have to wait? When will I know what my future holds? When can I make a move? The appointed time never seems to come. And yet, it is when an amount of time is cherished and appreciated, that the best things in life come. Time will never disappoint us. Yeah, sometimes it seems a heck of a lot longer than we want it to be, but in the end it does NOT disappoint us.

This is harder to understand than said! When I begin to wonder about waiting and waiting and waiting and WAITING for things to happen in my life...I look to a verse in 1 Corinthians 7:17. Paul is speaking about the topic of Marriage, and lays down some standards to live by. Not necessarily rules (he says that we should pray about what is best for our lives) but just standards.

1 Cor 7:17

Nevertheless, each one should retain the place in life that the Lord assigned to him and to which God has called him.

I love this! We are commanded to retain the place of life (here and now!) that God has assigned us to. He knows our lives, He knows our plans—now we just need to trust that where we are at now, is where He WANTS us.

Time is not a disappointing factor.

I’ll admit. I’m SICK of being single. I loved being single before...it was beautiful and I lived my life to the fullest. But then I realized how beautiful it was to NOT be single. How beautiful a love relationship is. And I’m just yearning to be there again.

But I don’t think this is the right time. Or maybe not the right person yet. Or maybe the right person is a part of my life, but we both still need time to learn.

I’m willing to accept that. As hard as it is most days!!!

Well, I guess that’s it for now. I wanted to do at least one blog on a topic like this. Cuz I’m usually thinking about this everyday.

And him. Whoever he is. Whether I know him, whether I don’t....

So I'll be holding my own breath, right up 'til the end
Until that moment when, I find the one that I'll spend forever with
Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
Someone to love with my life in their hands
There's gotta be somebody for me like that
'Cause nobody wants to do it on their own
And everyone wants to know they're not alone
There's somebody else that feels the same somewhere
There's gotta be somebody for me out there

1 thoughtful responses:

  Anonymous

February 1, 2009 at 11:23 PM

beautiful.
just beautiful.