Childlike Faith

I started school this week. Not high school. Not college.

I started Kindergarten.

I am currently working in a school district with a full-time job. It is the strangest new experience of mine. I feel like I often live two lives. During the day, I am a mature school faculty member who encourages good behavior and sits in the teacher lounge. On the weekends I work at Lake Lundgren Bible Camp with minor staff, missionary staff and SSTers - exuberating a great joy and love to be wild! One life of a mature 19 year-old woman, and another life of a crazy 19 year-old girl.

But in the midst of my teaching, I have started to understand a biblical term coined "faith like a child".

Look at some important points here:
1. Children have unconditional love. They will hug you after you yell at them. They will blow kisses when you've finished reprimanding their behavior.
2. Children know your discipline is for the good. Though they may pout a little, they DO learn from discipline. At a young age, children are so moldable and can be easily persuaded to do good and not evil.
3. Children ask for help. It takes 2 seconds for a kid to ask you to open their milk, tie their shoes, or button their jacket. They're not afraid to ask for help when they fail.
4. Children believe without seeing tangible evidence. If you tell a kid "Being a bully is bad", and then ask them "Is being a bully good?"-- they will instantly respond "NO!" They didn't have to experience or see it, they believe you.

This is just a small list (because I need to get offline) but look back at those four. Think about your relationship with Christ. Do we LOVE him with everything? do we learn from His discipline? Do we ask for help when we can't seem to make it through? Do we believe in faith?

Be a child once again.

0 thoughtful responses: